Sunday, August 30, 2015

Welcome to The R/C Retard


This is my blog to document my experiences and progress as an aspiring pilot of quadcopters.  In an effort to expand my video business, I intend to add aerial photography as a new service.

The video above, in my opinion, exemplifies the beauty of aerial photography.  The use of framing, as well as camera and subject movement are excellent and provide us with something to aspire to.  It documents how multi-rotor UAVs can be used to incredible effect for the photographic and videography worlds.

The current state of the drone industry in terms of public perception as well as the FAA's extremely slow reaction time in terms of creating rules for the safe use of drones has led some states to legislate in ways that are not reasonable for the professional videographer engaged in the legitimate and safe use of drones.

This blog will also report on issues that seem relevant to this fast changing world of drones or UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles).  Going forward I will refer to these as UAVs or by their rotor designation (quad, hex, octo etc.) as the term drone has the negative connotation of the weaponized drones used by the military.

As I have started my journey into the world of multi-rotor UAVs, I am reminded of the nascent personal computer industry.  Although when I started in that business, the name personal computer had yet to be coined and we just knew them as microcomputers.  The rate of innovation and change in this field is just as incredible.

I think it's a very exciting time for the UAV pilot or pilot to be with new technologies emerging annually that hold great promise and spark the imagination.  Products such as the DJI Phantom 3 and the Inspire 1, 3DRobotics SOLO and Lily are all amazing tools that broaden our reach as photographers and videographers.

As I write this, in August 2015, ideas like collision avoidance systems will be commonplace for Prosumer and professional UAVs alike in 2 years time.  When you look at how accurate the GPS positioning is for these flying cameras, it's far from being able to do motion control but I suspect that day is not that far off.

As a final note, we do not monetize this blog.  It is just a place for us to freely document our experiences with both the activity of aerial photography and videography as well as the products associated with it.  When we talk about any products, we are describing our unvarnished opinions and experiences with the product, both good and bad.

Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment