Sunday, January 3, 2016

Airnest Testing and Capsule Review




I went out to the local college's observatory to test out Airnest.  I bought Airnest as an alternative to the DJI Go application in the hopes that it would provide a smoother POI style video than the results you saw in my last video.  

I ran a test and compared Airnest to DJI Go and the results of that are detailed in the video above.  I only talk about the specific POI task in that video and I wanted to offer some more thoughts on Airnest.  

I can see that there are issues with getting a nice smooth pan.  Hell, maybe part of that was my unsteady finger as I drew the flight path on the iPad.  I will do a head to head feature comparison with a couple of other apps and then look at what sets Airnest apart.

Here are the specifics:

Application Name: Airnest
Platform(s) supported: iOS
UAV(s) supported: Phantom 3 A/P, Inspire 1 (x3 only)
Price: $24.99

Description:
Airnest offers 4 "tools" in their app.  One of which is a no fly zone app so you can tell where they are and how close you might be to one.  I mention this as this functionality is included in the DJI Go app.

The other tools are:

Path: Use your finger to draw a path and the drone will fly that path.  You can also set a point for the camera to aim at.  You can save these paths and name them as well.  This tool is the only one that I have used so far.  This tool is why we bought this app.

Point:  I did not use this.  From Airnest's website:  Stunning aerial photos, with just a tap.  Point where you want your drone go, then position the camera by panning and tilting your iOS device.

Capture: Again, I did not use this.  From their website:  For those who love manual control.  Capture provides a clean, easy to use way to take photos and videos while you fly using your RC controller.

The other popular app that competes in this space is Litchi.  There is another app called Autopilot that only works with older versions of the Phantom so it's not included here.

Here are the specifics:

Application Name: Litchi
Platform(s) supported: iOS, Android
UAV(s) supported: Phantom 3 P/A, Inspire 1
Price: $14.99

Description:

Feature highlights:
- Ability to pre-plan your waypoint missions without being connected to the aircraft
- Draw your missions with the pen tool
- Setup classic missions as well as Cable Cams, Selfies and more
- Supports multiple Points of Interest
- Customizable Bezier curves for smoother videos
- 6 different waypoint actions (Stay for / Take Photo / Start Recording / Stop Recording / Rotate Aircraft / Tilt Camera)
- Automatic gimbal control (Focus POI and Interpolate)
- Take manual control of the aircraft during the mission to play/replay the mission on the fly including gimbal movements
- Use the Panorama preset to easily shoot a horizontal panorama at waypoints
- Custom RC keys functions allowing you to create missions as you fly them and more
- Load/Save and Email your missions
- Virtually unlimited distance missions, the aircraft will continue the mission even when signal is lost
- Record your iOS device screen at the tap of a button
- Use our online mission editor at http://flylitchi.com/gs to edit missions which can then be loaded in Litchi
- Human readable flight logs, can be automatically uploaded to HealthyDrones
- Voice feedback for important warnings
- Select one of 32 transmission channels
- Auto record

Litchi is pretty highly regarded but I have no experience with it.  If we look at these two apps just in terms of features, it's clear that Litchi is offering significant value for the money (I should mention that we bought Airnest on sale for $14.99).  That being said, it does not offer the main feature that Airnest offers which is basically to draw a path and support gimbal control via the mobile device's accelerometers.

I think, since they differ so wildly, you will have to judge the value of these differences yourself.  I plan to run a similar test using Litchi so keep an eye on the blog for that update soon.

As for having used Airnest, there is certainly an issue in regards to accuracy.  This is not specifically Airnest's fault but rather the nature of the beast.

There are limitations on how far you can zoom into Apple or Google maps and that imposes a somewhat harsh restriction on how fine your control is of the path.

 I would like to see a couple of small changes and would like to suggest a feature...

It would be nice to be able to share mission files.  That way I can send it to myself and get it on my other devices.

The config page should default to the drone settings first so the user is reminded to set RTH and max.  Hell, have this page come up on app launch but stay up until dismissed by the user.

Logs - PLEASE follow Litchi's example for logs and support for HealthyDrones.  This is a CRITICAL feature!

The feature I would like to see added is some way to control or constrain a path.  I cannot tell if the circle that I drew with my finger on the map has much, if any accuracy.  Maybe add pre-defined path shapes like a re-sizable circle that you create AFTER you define your point of interest?  Bezier handles?  I am just spitballing ideas here guys...

Logs...  Before I conclude this post, I should point out the afore mentioned issue with logs is irritating enough that I do not want to use the app.  I depend on the logs generated by the DJI Go app to track all of my flights, battery charges, power issues - everything.  Healthydrones will consume the Litchi logs right from the app.  You guys at Airnest need to do that.

As a conclusion regarding Airnest?  I think it's overpriced.  It should be $9.99.  Maybe it will grow into an app that is more deserving of a $25 price tag.  It will be a hell of an app when that day comes.

Happy new year everyone.  Fly safe, fly legal but FLY!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this blog. provided great information. All the details are explained clearly with the great explanation. Thanks for this wonderful blog. Step by step processes execution are given clearly.Know the details about different thing.
    Mobile App Development Company
    Android app Development Company
    ios app development Company
    Mobile App Development Companies

    ReplyDelete
  2. officer Training HIPAA Security will help in understanding the administrative, physical and technical safeguards for keeping PHI safe specifically in electronic form (computers, networks, email, software, electronic transmissions, etc.) from ransomware, disasters, hackers, and electronic theft.

    ReplyDelete